WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT VIRTUAL HEALTHCARE, POWERED BY AKIRA
Your benefits plan includes Virtual Healthcare by Akira, an online service that provides on-demand access to medical assistance where ever you are and whenever you need it. Akira connects you with primary care providers without the need to use valuable sick days or personal time for doctors visits.
You and your family can consult confidentially with an accredited doctor or nurse practitioner by video conference using your phone, tablet or computer. The Akira medical team can diagnose medical concerns, write prescriptions, order diagnostic tests and refer patients to doctors and other specialists.
Over 50% of primary care concerns traditionally seen in a doctor’s office can be addressed through the Akira virtual healthcare app and website, without ever having to leave home or work.
- Access medical care without the need to use valuable sick days or personal time for doctor visits.
- Save time and inconvenience for routine medical interactions like refilling prescriptions;
- Easily consult Akira’s medical team while travelling, avoiding expensive out of country medical consultations.
If you don’t have access to a family doctor, Akira can provide consistent assistance from fully qualified medical practitioners, reducing inconvenient and time-consuming visits to local clinics.
* Always consult your benefits booklet to confirm coverage details.
HOW IT WORKS
Using the Akira app or website , create your account (see Getting Started below)
Chat on the app or website with an “intake coordinator” – she/he will gather information about you, and process your $10.00 co-pay ($0.00 for BC residents)
- Begin talking by secure video conference with a nurse practitioner or doctor. Akira’s medical team can:
- Assess patient symptoms
- Diagnose medical concerns
- Provide advice on medical concerns
- Write new prescriptions and renew existing prescriptions
- Make referrals to specialists and other health care professionals and services
- Where necessary, help facilitate appropriate in-person care
- Provide medical documentation, notes and recommendations
GETTING STARTED WITH AKIRA
1. Go to akirahealth.ca/signup/grouphealth and click Register
You’ll need your policy number and certificate number to register. You can find these on your benefits card.
2. Follow the instructions on the screen to set up your Akira account
You’ll use your email address as your Akira account ID.
3. Once you’ve registered, download the Akira app for iOS or Android